In 1878, the “Little Red School House” opened as the first school on Lookout Mountain, serving residents in both Tennessee and Georgia. Over the years, Tennessee’s population continued to grow and by 1900, Lookout Mountain, Tennessee, had a new school. In 1927, Lookout Mountain School (LMS) was turned over to the Hamilton County School Board, and a new building was erected at its present location in 1929. LMS became the first school in Hamilton County to begin a planned schedule of school desegregation in 1962.
Today, LMS is a Kindergarten through Grade 5 public school serving over 175 students. LMS has been designated a Tennessee Reward School for the past two years for being among the top 5% of schools in performance.
With the dedication and collaboration of our community and Parent Teacher Association, LMS has upgraded and transformed its space to offer students an excellent education with access to the latest technology, as well as cultural and athletic experiences. Our school includes a 8000 SF addition to the main building that houses an Art studio, Science Lab, K-2 Computer Writing Lab, and state-of-the art Kindergarten classrooms. Our library includes a true Multi-Media Center.
Our landscaped grounds include a playground, football field, new fencing, underground irrigation systems, and an outdoor Science/Art classroom with a water feature. LMS also houses an indoor skating rink that is maintained by the Town of Lookout Mountain and open to the community throughout the year.
LMS, including its original mountain stone structure, is located in the heart of a quiet residential community with churches, recreational facilities, and national parks.